President Akufo-Addo visits ICPSJanuary 10, 2020
Margins Group sponsors the President’s Outstanding Youth PrizeDecember 13, 2020
Our architects of smart buildings, MIDSA, have once again demonstrated their extensive skills by upgrading the library at the University of Professional Studies Accra (UPSA). University libraries are a crucial part of the academic environment as providers of scientific literature and facilitators of scientific communication. The most important resource of UPSA’s library are the books, but what happens when books are consistently being stolen or willfully damaged? How does UPSA protect their books for the generations of students to come? Well, they picked up the phone and called MIDSA for the right solution.
After a thorough assessment of UPSA’s library facilities, MIDSA developed a library management system that functions by integrating digital processes and informational feedback loops in the library infrastructure to make it “smarter”, efficiently organized and provide the security required to protect the books.
The MIDSA Solution:
- The installation of turnstiles to effectively manage the people who have access to the library. Student and staff have been assigned cards that grant them entrance into the facility.
- RFID tags programmed with identification and security information were fixed to books and library materials.
- The provision of a RFID reader to identify marked items or to detect the tags security status.
- The security part of the RFID material was appropriately set to trigger an alarm if the books were not checked out properly.
- The security systems can also read the item information and help library staff identify what item caused the alarm.
- CCTV to monitor the library interior and the activity of library users.
MIDSA’s intuitive RFID solutions have made processes at UPSA’s library more efficient and effective. More importantly, the books are safe and will remain so for a long time to come. Kudos to MIDSA for job well done!